Sunday, May 20, 2012

I AM A WRITER.
There I have said it out loud.
I am normally a little shy about my writing but after an inspiring week end with the Bundaberg Writers Club WriteFest I have become more bolden.
From now on I want to talk about writing and there is a lot to tell.
I have been writing since I can remember but none of that remains, I won't go into details but it is enough to say that for the last 10 years I have returned to putting pen to paper, so to say, and I have self published one book which is also an e-book, The Celtic Fabler http://www.smashwords.com/books/search?query=Valerie+Stewart+Lewis
which my dear brother Rob fomatted for me and surprise, surprise, it is doing quite well.
I have another small book ready to load up, a book of poetry called Book of Dreams and in a couple of days there will be a novel called Time Again but I will tell about that later.

I love history, always have. Read my first history book when I was 8 years old, a 7 volume Battles of England from 1066 to 1914. I read the set several times and it fascinated me. The next I read was a 3 volume set on The Monachy of England from Victoria to George V. Again read several times but it started me on the road to history and 60+ years later I am still reading history. I am telling you this because most of my stories has a historical setiing.
My first novel, The Celtic Fabler, is set in Briton in 577AD during the Saxon invasion.
I came across a small sentence in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicals for that year, the Saxon boasting about a battle in which they boast they killed three British kings. For some reason this made me very annoyed. how dare this invaders come in and kill my ancestors and boast about it. I know silly of me but there.
What I did though was went straight to google and reseach this battle. Of course there wasn't very much but I did find out the names of the kings and where that battle took place. To my surprise, it was not far from where I have grown up as a child but I had never heard about it, no one seem to know about it. Slowly a story formed in my mind, I would tell this story but from the eyes of a young Bitish girl and her people caught up in the fight and there struggle to rid the island of the invaders.

My next one, which is going through a re-write and edit at this moment, is set in 1704 and again the idea came from a small piece of writng that I found in a book about a royal secret. More of that when I have finished, it will be another e-book

I think I have writen enough for today. I hope to up date thei lot evry week as I am going to be very busy and I must keep up with my face book family as well. So you will hear from me gain soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment